Dr. Ewald Zimmermann (1910–1998) studied the piano (Privatmusiklehrer-Examen with Eduard Erdmann) and musicology, doing a doctorate in the latter following his time as a soldier in World War II and subsequent time as a prisoner of war in Russia. In 1953 he became the first editor in the history of G. Henle Publishers, where he worked for 22 years alongside the founder of the publishing house, Günter Henle, in Duisburg, actively and deftly supporting the young company’s initial steps. Zimmermann was in charge of almost all of the Urtext editions that were produced in his time, himself editing several volumes, including all of Frédéric Chopin’s works for piano. Under his direction, the first scholarly catalogue of Chopin’s musical works of the time (Krystyna Kobylańska) was produced, issued by G. Henle publishers in 1980.
In 1991 Zimmermann was honoured for his efforts with the Chopin Medal by the Chopin Society in Warsaw, and shortly afterwards received the order “Mérite en faveur de la culture polonaise” from the Polish government. Even after he had retired in 1975, during which time he devoted himself more intensively to playing the piano, he still retained close ties with the publishing house, remained in close contact with his successors and continued editing.